Thursday, August 27, 2009

Blackberry Cobbler



We just moved back to California. Now I know this state has it problems, i.e. it's bankrupt, the traffic is horrific, and the unemplyment rate is high. But we just moved to the cutest little town called Murphys. It's an old gold mining town that has never lost it original look. Truly it's charming. In the upcoming weeks, I'll take you to some of its darling boutiques, wineries, and restaraunts. But today I have to tell you about these beautiful blackberries in our backyard. What a wonderful surprise these were! The first day we moved in, my husband came into the kitchen with a bowl full of berries. Too tired to make pie, I found an old cobbler recipe in my recipe file. WOW!! it is so good I have to share it with you. You may be wondering why the picture is of red berries, that's because I've made so many cobblers that all the ripe berries are gone. Now all we can do is wait for these to turn ripe, and I guarantee my husband will be out there again picking a bowl full.

Blackberry Cobbler
1c sugar 1t baking powder
3 tablespoons flour 1/4 c shortening
1 c water 1/2 c milk
3 to 4 c blackberries dash of salt
1 c flour
Mix the sugar, 3 T of four and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let boil for one minute. Add the berries and gently mix. Pour this into a 9x9 pan. Dot with a few teaspoons of butter and sprinkle a little cinnamon over the top. Now mix the flour, salt and the baking powder. Cut in the shortening, then add the milk and mix. Spoon this over the berries. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Serve with ice cream if you want. Enjoy.

No comments: